Recently my focus has been on helping strata owners and committees with the redevelopment, renewal, and renovations of ageing strata property.
I am the co-creator of the ‘Strata Renewal Process’ recently adopted by New South Wales in the Strata Schemes Development Act 2015 NSW (Teys & Russell, 2000). This is pioneering legislation for Australia providing for the compulsory acquisition of privately held lots to redevelop schemes that are no longer viable for the large majority of owners, including protection against abuse for those not wishing to participate.
I provide strategic advice, advocacy, and documents for strata lot owners, owners corporations, and development consultants.
Qualifications and affiliations
1985 – Bachelor of Laws (QUT)
1985 – present, Australian Legal Practitioner
2007 – present, Fellow Australian College of Community Association Lawyers Inc.
2011 – present, Guest strata expert, Property Success with Margaret Lomas
2011 – 2016, Presenter,Your Money, Your Call, Sky News Business Channel
2012 – 2015, Adjunct lecturer, Property Investing, Charles Sturt University
2014 – present, Licensed Strata Managing Agent
Teys, M 2015, Growing Up: How Strata Title Bodies Might Learn to Behave, Major Street Publishing, Sydney
Teys, M and Russell, P 2000, ‘Renewing our Strata Tilted City; The Beginning of a Better End’, A study for the City of Sydney and The Property Council of Australia.
SP 1731 Glenview Court, 20 Illawong Av, Tamarama 2026 – I am an advisor to 78 owners on a $29M redevelopment of the property following $9M fire and health safety orders to include 2 new penthouses in the existing roof, balconies front and back for all apartments, 2 new levels of underground car parking, and the sale of surplus land.
My services include legal advice on achieving this under then existing legislation without redevelopment provisions, advocacy for the strata committee at various meetings over 5 years to achieve a unanimous resolution to proceed in 2016, and negotiating the terms of the largest strata loan in Australian history to finance construction.
Other relevant experience
- Writing and negotiating by-laws for extensive renovations to lots and common property with exclusive use rights and differential development cost sharing.
- Syndicated development of a 182 apartment rental retirement village with special one off negotiated government 10 year rent assistance package, and ownership and operation of the management and letting rights for the village.
- Negotiating agreement among owners on amalgamation of strata lots and the sale of the entire building to developers at a premium.
Strata law reform work
- Retained by PICA Ltd, Australia’s largest strata management company on the implementation of 1996 strata development and management legislation for QLD
- Advising Vesture Ltd, Australia’s second largest strata management company on the 2006 strata management laws for Victoria
- Representing the ACT Unit Owners Association in negotiations with the ACT government on aspects of the 2013 Unit Titles legislation for the Australian Capital Territory